End of an Era 10/10/10

Today marks the closing of The Presbyterian Church in Early , Iowa. As I write this the closing ceremonies are being held. This is the Church that at least 4+ generations of the Struchens worshipped. There were many baptisms, confirmations, weddings and funerals all held in this Church. I was baptized, attended Sunday School and Vacation Bible School here, confirmed as a member of the Church here, and married here. A tradition held by my parents, Grandparents and Great Grandparents. So it was with a heavy heart as I read Dad's email saying that today was the final day of Church and that the closing ceremony would be held. Many good memories of this Church



Last year Dad and Mom rescued this little wooden folding chair. I sat on a chair like this every Sunday for our Sunday School class. I was also lucky enough to receive one of the old hymnals

Comments

Tina said…
What a beautiful old church! I love old Iowa churches. Ours still stands but the attendance is few. I absolutely understand your feelings. So glad you have a tangible memory to hang on to also.
Unknown said…
Sherry how wonderful to have that little rescued chair, I am sure it will keep the memory of your wonderful Church alive with you for many years to come.

Popular posts from this blog

The Stockings Were Hung

Today: Chaos, Cooking, Cleaning and Creating

Summer Tag Swap